Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Today is really my kind of day.

According to the nifty Oriental Trading Calender today is Cream Filled Doughnut Day.  It's a good day.  Happy Cream Filled Doughnut Day!  I'm including my favorite doughnut in this day, even though they are custard filled.  My all time favorite doughnut is the Caramel frosted, custard filled doughnuts from Shuncks.
The bakery at Shuncks is one of the best around.  About the best here,since Sielbold's closed.  The bakery that replaced Siebold's isn't as good.
It's turned into a nice rainy day.
Yes, I'm weird, I like rainy days.  I like gray and drippy.  The dogs aren't too thrilled, but I'm quite happy.  Haven't had a day like this in a while.  It's just a nice rain, no big hairy storms or strong winds.  There was some good thunder and lightening early this morning.  Right now I'm listening to a steady downpour.  It's really kinda cool.
Well, I've switched internet providers.  I'm now with AT&T.
Clear really didn't want to let go.  Spent over an hour trying to get the service shut down and get the question of returning the modem settled.  They say it's a full money back thing, till you want your money back.  The service seemed to work OK, in general.  But I couldn't get it to stream NetFlix.  Since I rely on streaming for entertainment, this was a problem.  I did everything they said too, had a great signal, but had to move the modem to another room to get it.  This was a strike against.  I still couldn't get it to run NetFlix.  So I decided I didn't want to keep it.  Getting them to honor the money back thing was not easy.  Right now I'm wating for the return address label to show up.  I'm betting on another extended session with the foreign customer service staff.
At first I wasn't too thrilled with the idea of AT&T.  2+ years back when I had the service at the other house, the service was fine, but dealing with customer service, which was in some other country, was a pain in the posterior.  I wasn't looking forward to repeating that.
But, I'm happy to say, things have changed with AT&T.  The people I've spoken to on the phone were American and so far everything has gone fairly well.  I've got a problem with emil that still needs fixing, but I'll get back to it shortly.  Netflix works fine and everything else is doing OK.
So summing up internet survey:
Charter, expensive at $60.00+ a month and out several hours a week.
Clear, less expensive, at $45.00 a month.  It was down a couple of times too and didn't work as well.  Though setup with Clear was way easier than Charter.  If you try Clear make sure to keep everything in the package and determine if it's going to work for you quickly.  If you don't cancel before the end of the 30 day trial period, yer stuck with the modem.
AT&T:  This time set up was fairly easy.  Customer service is now based in the U.S., which is a big + for them.  I'm working on the email problem, we'll have to wait and see how that goes.  Internet access has been steady since I set it up last night.
I'm sure Charter is having problems today.  They always do in bad weather
And AT&T is way cheaper at $14.95 a month, right now, and even at $30.00+ a month at the end of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment