Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's never good to feel your insides....

Cuz, if yer healthy and not injured, you don't.
It's only when something is wrong that you are aware of your insides.  When you pull a muscle you are suddenly and uncomfortably aware of just where that muscle is, exactly what it does, and where it is attached.  Break an arm and you are acutely aware of just what that arm does every day.  Break a rib and you are aware of the mechanics of breathing, and laughter becomes a completely new experience.
When we are young, we run, jump, skip and climb without a thought.  As you get older you learn just what it takes to do all those things.
And why am I musing on this fact today?
Tuesday I tripped on an uneven sidewalk and ended up flat on my face.  I'm OK, just bruised for the most part.  Actually very lucky, considering the various possibilities.  But I dislocated my left little finger, and my right knee is a lovely shade of yellow, purple, and black.
No big deal, right?  You'd be surprised.  I haven't been able to grip much of anything with my left hand.  Being left handed this is a bit of a problem.  The morning coffee has been an adjustment the past couple of days, and that sets a tone for the rest of the day...
Signing things is a new adventure, when you can't get a good grip on a pen.  Doing dishes, sweeping, picking things up all require thought right at the moment.
And we won't even talk about the typing.
Even petting the dogs has taken on new meaning.
With the injury I've suddenly become aware of how often my knees and hands contact things. How often I unintentionally brush up against things or the dogs brush against me.
But the upside is, I'm thankful for all the things I can do.
And even more thankful that this is a passing thing.
Feeling yer insides is not a good thing, but it does remind me that I take a lot of things for granted.  It reminds me of what I should be grateful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment