Saturday, August 6, 2011

The grand experiment....

The grand experiment With Linux has come to an end.
I won't call it a complete failure.  I liked Linux much better than Windows.  The setup was way easier, and for the most part it was easier to deal with.  Didn't have the continual updating crap going on.  The problem was, I couldn't get it to work with some of the most important software.  I use a program called Graphics Workshop Professional  from Alchemy Mindworks.  I've used this program for years.  I love this program, it's the best image viewer that I've found.  I couldn't find anything in the Linux software that came close to it for function and ease of use.  I also rely heavily on a couple of other programs form Alchemy Mindworks that I couldn't find substitutes for.  Linux wouldn't work with the Kodak software and I didn't like the photo software I tried, and I tried several.  I couldn't find a media player that I liked as much as the Windows Media Player, and none of the Linux media players I tried would recognize my Sansa clip.  I could charge it, but I couldn't open it, so there was no way of working with the files stored on it and I couldn't add anything to it.  These were BIG issues for me.  I was spending a lot of time trying to work around these issues and getting nowhere.
And Max wasn't running any faster.
So, I'm back with Windows XP.  I'm not happy about it, but, even with the system only half reset I'm getting a lot more productivity out of Maxwell than I did the entire time I had the Linux loaded.
The problem was not with the Linux system itself.  It was more a problem of compatibility.  Microsoft has a choke hold on the computer world that is difficult to break.  If I could have gotten GWP and the Sansa to work with it I wouldn't have switched back.
So now I'm back to reloading everything and trying to get Max up to speed.  It's gonna be a bit longer before we're back to normal...


No comments:

Post a Comment