Sunday, August 14, 2011

These were GOOD!

Frankenstein cooking at it's best.


Frankenstein cooking:  Taking whatever you have in the house and combining it in new and different ways.

I'm calling these Pepper Pockets.  I can't claim that the recipe is totally original, got the idea from a recipe for stuffed Banana Peppers.  But I modified it a bit.

What you need:

1lb. sausage  (I used Jimmy Deans hot sausage.  It's what I had and I needed to use it.  1lb was more than enough to generously stuff 12 crescent rolls.)
Cream Cheese  (I had a little over half a 12oz container of Philadelphia spreadable cream cheese.  I used all of it, and I was spreading it fairly thick.)
1 onion, chopped  (I used a medium sized onion.  I did a coarse chop and since I was browning the onion that worked just fine.)
Peppers (I used a whole bunch of Hot Banana Peppers.  Sorry, can't really tell ya how many.  I forgot to count and they were all different sizes.  The whole point of this was to use up peppers from the garden.  I think this would work well with Red Bell Peppers, and one good sized one would probably do the trick.  Don't know how well Green Bell Peppers would work.  I think if I were gonna do it with Green I'd use a different sausage, maybe Italian sausage.  That actually sounds good.  Next time I'm gonna cut the peppers a little smaller.  I cut them in thick rings and that made the stuffing a little difficult.)
Crescent Rolls (I had two rolls of Shuncks brand and that worked just fine.)

What you do:

Brown the sausage and onions.
Clean and seed the peppers.  (The original recipe said to add a soft cheese and mix it with the sausage and stuff the peppers.  Some of my peppers were kinda small for stuffing so I just cut them up and added them to the sausage after it had cooled a bit.  You really don't need to cook the peppers, cuz they're going in the oven.  All I had in the way of soft cheese was cream cheese.  Adding it to the sausage seemed like over kill, so I just spread it on the crescent rolls.)
Once you get the sausage and the peppers mixed, separate the crescent rolls.  (You wanna do this while the dough is still cold.  It's going to take longer to stuff each roll than it would if you were just rolling them up for crescent rolls.  If you wait to separate them out they're gonna stick together.)
Take a section of dough and fold the skinny point down on the sloping side and press the edges together. (This makes it easier to stuff.)
Spread a thick layer of cream cheese on the dough.  (I used a piece of wax paper under the dough during these two steps, kept it from sticking to the work surface.)
Put a healthy spoonful of the sausage and pepper mixture on top of the cream cheese.  (Some of it may fall out when you roll it up.  You can either stick it back in or use it on the next one.)
Fold the dough over the stuffing and pinch the sides together.
Bake according to the package directions.  Which for the Shuncks brand was 13 to 17 minutes in a 350 degree oven.  I baked these for 17 minutes.


The original recipe said they would freeze well.  Don't know if I'm gonna try that or not.


It's a complete meal.  I'll find out tomorrow how well they reheat.  Even using hot sausage and hot peppers the end product wasn't too spicy.

No comments:

Post a Comment