Sunday, August 28, 2011

Tonight's the night...

Well, actually, last night was the night, but I still haven't been to bed yet....
Doctor Who returned for the second part of the 6th season of the new show.  I've been looking forward to this all summer.



For those who don't know, Doctor Who is one of the longest running shows in TV.  It is the longest running Science Fiction show.  It's one of the few things to be successfully remade.



Late one Sunday night, back in the 70's, I tuned to the local PBS station and caught an episode of a new show they were running.  I've been hooked ever since.



That's a clip from the Robot, the first Dr Who episode I ever saw.  This is well into the episode, but it has my favorite bit, the scene of the new Doctor finding himself, and the introduction of the famous scarf.
It may not seem like much now, but, back in the day this was impressive for television Science Fiction.  From that night, every Sunday night, for over 10 years, I tuned into the local PBS station to watch a new episode of The Doctor.  Quite often a group of us would get together to watch.
The original run of Doctor Who ended in 1989.  It had faltered a bit in the ratings, and then, according to rumor, Stephen Spielberg bought the rights.  I'm not sure exactly how all the maneuvering went, but The Doctor was officially dead at that time.  In 1996 there was a made for TV movie released in this country.
Thankfully, that never went any further.
At the time I was bummed, but the movie wasn't all that great.  I'm glad there wasn't an American version of the show.  I don't think we would have done as well with it.  I didn't really like the 8th Doctor all that much.
In 2005 The Doctor was revived, with Christopher Eccleston as the 9th Doctor.
I waited for that first episode with pessimistic thoughts.
And I was pleasantly surprised.










I've been consistently pleasantly surprised since then.
Doctor Who, 47 years, soon to be 48, and still going strong. Can't wait to see the new episode.



Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment