Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Archon 35....

When last we talked of this, seriously, I was heading out the door...


Costumes ready to go.


All my stuff packed.
I was loaded and ready to go around 2:30pm.  My personal launch time for Con. is 5pm.  Comes from the days of having to work on Thursday or Friday.  So 2:30 ain't bad.
I motored over to E & J's to see what was up.  Had a cup of coffee.  C gave me a key card for the room.  I took one of the boxes they had ready to go and headed out.  I was in Collinsville around 4pm.


Next time, I'm taking a smaller first trip, that way when the key card doesn't work, it's not such a pain.  Somebody was nice enough to let me into the hotel.  But that was no help with the room.  Luckily, our Linus and Lucy were in the parking lot.  I had gone up to let them in.  It was good in theory.  They came up and watched stuff and I ran down and got the key card fixed.  We got into the room, yeah.  I lugged the rest of my stuff up.  They lugged up their stuff and we settled in.
Shortly, everybody else rolled in.  We all settled into 2 connecting rooms, with refrigerator and coffee maker.
Yeah, we were stylin.


After the meet and greet and exploration and setting of the rooms we ascended to the flurry of the first round of costumes.  This is the round where basic costumes difficulties will arise.  Depending on your level of perprep, these will very in challenge and toughness.  It's good to have safety pins, superglue, and duck tape for this round.  This year the round was fairly uneventful.  Most of the difficulties having been considered and planed for.  We had the duck tape and Saran wrap when it was needed.



My Rouge costume is meant to be a Saturday day costume, not a main costume, not yet.  It's a work in progress.  I realize that I can't do the whole thing right in one year.  The plan is to slowly build the whole costume up with leather armour and everything, into an elven rouge.  It's a long term thing.  If I had considered using it as the main costume this year I would have done something about the make up.  As it was with the critical fails on the T.A.R.D.I.S costume, it was a fair fall back.  Wearing it this year made me decide that this year's serious project is a proper tunic.  


The lining of the cape being black wasn't a planned thing.  But, the cape worked well.


I wasn't stepping on it and not many other people did either.  It billowed quite nicely in the wind.  I like the way it turned out.  So it stays with the costume.  I'm gonna see about turning the pin into a button.  Pinning it all the time is a pain.  The belt and scabbard worked great.  But you can't really see them.  So this year I'm gonna work on a suitable tunic.  The mask was a last minute addition and it was a little difficult to see out of.
Learned that real quick by walking face first into a window right off.
I had only had one drink.  My title as Champion Klutz is secure.
I registered, I got my weapons, peace bonded.
Anything that could be used as a weapon has to be secured to the costume.  Since my sword and dagger or metal and pointy enough to do damage they were zip tied to the scabbards.  I didn't take the staff with me this year, didn't want to deal with it.


And then I walked around, talked to people, and took pictures.
That's pretty much what I did all weekend.  Walked around, took pictures, talked to people, hung out in the room.  Had a great time.
Saturday morning we all suited up and did the Hogwarts sorting ceremony.


This year we had a Professor Sprout and Hagrid.


This year was a little low key for all of us.  There weren't any panels that looked interesting, I couldn't find a schedule for the video room in the program, didn't work up the interest to look for it.  Half of our number were sick.  People had other obligations.
The beds were comfortable and the squishy pillows were awesome.  I miss the squishy pillows.
We ate unhealthy food and partied.  Can you ask for much more? 









No comments:

Post a Comment