Saturday, January 25, 2014

Contemplation of an Ungodly Hour....

Back at the beginning of the holiday season I started ruminating on an Ungodly hour.  Which started a thought train steaming through: Ungodly hour part deux to Ungodly Hour Director's Cut Part 1.
I called that last post part one, cuz I knew the train was gonna run for awhile....
  
And it has.
Like all the other steaming thoughts it has receded to the depths to boil up at odd times.  Usually when I'm in the middle of, or on the way to, something else.
And sometimes those ideas boil over and I find yet another dimension to the subject.  Which launches yet another train of thought.
And they all simmer in the background, jostling and bumping, mixing, melding, breaking apart, and reshaping....
And the Ungodly Hour has grown.  Like a lizard blasted by 1950's SciFi atomic energy, it's grown.
And so, with this post I'm giving it a tag all it's own.  That way I don't have to spend time pondering new and different variations on the title....

And, you might be wondering, cuz I have, why a proclaimed unbeliever is pondering anything ungodly.
Well, this is where the atomic expansion enters, cuz at first blush it was just a turn of phrase.  Then the cliche got sucked in by the currents of my mind at, Christmas time....

First we have to clarify semantics.
I am agnostic.
Now yer wondering what bearing this affliction has...
 Well...
A theist believes in at least one, sometimes more, divine being.
An atheists believes there are no divine beings.
Christians believe that there is one divine being and that they know him personally.
An agnostic neither believes or disbelieves.
While most atheists believe there is nothing beyond this physical realm and the theists believe there is more than meets the senses in the universe and the christians insist there is something beyond, an agnostic weighs the evidence.
For myself, I believe that there is more to the universe than what I can see, hear, taste, smell, and touch, but I'm not placing any bets on what it is or isn't.  There's no way I can know for sure.  I accept that there might be a God.
And if there is a God, and if he is the God of Jesus and The New Testament, I'm not seeing much of him in the present Zeitgeist.  At the time of the year when the birth of the New Testament God is celebrated, I saw very little evidence of his existence in the real world.
And so the Ungodly Hour is hatched.
And I have a lot more to say on the subject.
But right now daylight is burning and I've got stuff to do...






No comments:

Post a Comment